“The enemy of great is good.” – Jim Collins
With over 100,000 members in over 129 countries, the American Society for Quality remains the premier global organization for the profession, promoting quality as a rigorous, multi-functional culture of conducting business and fostering customer-driven growth. Improving from good to great is in the profession’s DNA and it is this heritage that the Metropolitan Section’s members strive to hone and enhance.
The NY/NJ Metropolitan Section’s founding members in the 1940s included the seminal thought leaders of the profession with names such as William Edwards Deming, Joseph Juran, Mason Wescott, Harold Dodge, and Walter Shewhart. As the elected Chair of the New York/ New Jersey Metropolitan Section, I am thrilled to be part of this great organization and participate in its storied tradition.
Along with the Metropolitan Executive Leadership Team and associated Committee Chairs, we benefit greatly from having the shoulders of such giants to stand upon, but tradition alone hardly equates with current and future progress. Rather, it will take the collaboration throughout our own talented membership internal to Metropolitan as well as through other organizations external to ASQ in order to diligently maintain a stance of stable, productive growth. We are continually seeking members who are passionate in contributing their personal expertise to the section and ultimately, to the entirety of the quality profession while furthering the section’s legacy into the decades to come.
By participating actively with the NY/NJ Metropolitan Section, you will:
- ENGAGE with an energizing group of quality practitioners and learn about how the Metropolitan Section leverages our diverse skill and experience base to connect across disciplines, across professions and across global communities.
- ACQUIRE KNOWLEDGE about the quality profession and its flagship methodologies, ranging from business/operational excellence, lean six sigma, quality auditing, and supply chain quality management, to the newest of contemporary innovations in the field.
- GROW your own leadership capabilities by serving among other passionate volunteer leaders who deliver the Sectionâ€™s Purpose and Principles through quantitative rigor, discipline, and excellence.
- INTERACT with Metropolitan Section’s diverse and multi-faceted membership through professional networking, mentoring, and career development.
- CONTINUE THE LEGACY by serving a role in a Section that has its ancestral roots in the founders of the modern quality profession while impacting the direction of its future.
I invite you to visit us during one of our upcoming regular General Section Meetings. The NY/NJ Metropolitan Section is ultimately a forum in which the quality ideas of today become the standards of the profession tomorrow. Active members will have the opportunity to serve a role in all of this and more, set against the thriving, exciting backdrop of the Greater New York City area.