Walter Young Scholarship Award Program
No one will be disqualified from consideration because of sex, race, color, creed, or religious beliefs
ASQ 0300 NY/NJ Metropolitan Section desires to encourage and support the application of quality concepts and methodology in all professional fields through a college scholarship award program. Students who meet the eligibility requirements are encouraged to complete and submit the application materials detailed below.
Selection of award recipients will be made by the ASQ 0300 NY/NJ Section Scholarship Committee based on the content of application materials and, if necessary, personal interviews. The Committee may decide to award all, some, or none, of the available scholarship funds. In all cases, the decision of the Committee is final.
Award recipient(s) and up to three guests (immediate family only please), will be invited to attend a recognition ceremony. Award payments will be made directly to the student.
I. Amount of Scholarship
The scholarship will be for $4,000 for one year applied to the applicant’s expenses. See Part V. for exceptions.
To be eligible to be considered for an award, applicants must meet all the following qualifications:
- Be accepted/matriculated in the Freshman, Sophomore or Junior year of studies at an accredited college or university in the United States.
- Have a cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.75 or better on a 4.0 scale or equivalent (85 for High School Students).
- Submit all required application materials as described in Section III.
III. Application Materials
Applicants for a scholarship award must submit the following information to NY/NJ Metropolitan Scholarship Committee:
- A completed Application Form (See Section VII.).
- An official academic transcript showing grades for the entire enrollment in current school or prior college(s), if any.
- Three letters of recommendation that address the applicant’s character and ability, at least one from a professor/teacher or official from the applicant’s current school.
- An essay written by the applicant, of no more than two typed pages single-spaced, covering the points detailed in Part 2 of the application. Your originality will be considered when scoring.
- Completed applications must be received by Scholarship Chair by Monday April 15, 2019. It is strongly recommended that applications be mailed via registered or certified mail.
- No incomplete applications will be considered.
- No faxed applications will be accepted.
Each application will be assigned a review number/letter. The applications will then be distributed to the Scholarship Committee for a blind review. The review will be scored blindly according to criteria predefined by the Scholarship Committee. The Committee reserves the right to distribute the amount of the scholarship to multiple recipients at their discretion. The decision of the Committee is final.
The recipient will be notified via mail or phone. He/she will also be recognized during an awards banquet scheduled, the exact date and location will be posted at the ASQ NY/NJ Metropolitan Section website (www.metro-asq.org).
Any questions related to the application can be directed to Susan Watson, Scholarship Chair at 718-558-3881 or email: Scholarship@metro-asq.org. Applications should be sent to the Scholarship Chair:
Susan Watson NY/NJ Metropolitan Scholarship Committee 666 Shore Road, Apt 3G Long Beach, NY 11561
VII. Walter Young Scholarship Application