The risk of fraud is very real and unfortunately, happens often. Fraudulent activities have always been woven within the corporate fabric and cuts across industries, businesses and governmental establishments. History has shown that the impact of fraud can be catastrophic and have a lasting adverse effect. Fraud events have increased in recent years due to a variety of reasons including the financial benefit, opportunity, motive, justification or rationalization. Certainly, its awareness, prevention and early detection are very important in sustaining a quality management system. The discussion will include:
- Lessons Learned: Con Edison’s fight against fraud.
- The common areas of fraud risk and the key red flags to look for.
- A discussion of factors that create a perfect environment for fraud to thrive.
- An understanding of the components of quality management and how fraud hinders its achievement.
- Resourceful ways of combating fraud.
Continue reading Section Meeting: A Clog in the Wheel of Quality Management
In 2015, ISO 9001 was not the only management system standard revised to include risk and opportunities requirements. The latest revision of ISO 14001 also now includes risk and opportunity requirements for an environmental management system (EMS). But how can your EMS meet these requirements? Join us for a presentation of one company’s efforts to incorporate risk in the EMS. Specific discussion points include: developing and managing an EMS risk assessment process as part of a larger risk portfolio, risk tools and techniques adopted for determining environmental aspect significance, developing tools to include sustainability efforts in the EMS risk assessment process, and developing tools to communicate EMS risk assessment results to stakeholders.
PRESENTED BY: Carl Johansen BSIT, MSTM, GRCP, GRCA, ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 14001:2015 Lead Auditor Certified, Section Manager Utility Shared Services Quality Management, Con Edison
In his current role at Con Edison Carl is the Section Manager for the Utility Shared Services Quality Management department and the program manager for the company-wide certification of its environmental management system to ISO 14001. Carl is applying quality management techniques honed in the manufacturing industry to the energy and utility sector at Con Edison. In his spare time, Carl is an automotive enthusiast who enjoys MINI Cooper rallies and shows with friends.
Carl is an active member of ASQ holding the marketing chair for the Design and Construction Division (DCD), the technology chair for the Customer-Supplier Division (CSD), and he’s a member of the environmental management sub-committee of ASQ’s Energy & Environment Division (EED) in the role of environmental management SME.
Continue reading Section Meeting: Got Risk? Risk Assessment Tools for ISO 14001: 2015
Infinite Consulting Corp (ICC), a program and construction management consulting firm, is in need of a full-time Quality Manager for a major New York City Transit station enhancement project.
The Quality Manager must possess the following qualifications:
• ISO 9000 or ASQ certified
• At least 5 years of experience
• Rail/transit experience preferred (particularly New York City Transit)
Interested candidates should send their resume and desired salary rate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sr. Quality Assurance Engineer will provide functional leadership for all activities related to Quality Assurance/Quality Control for our CATS product lines, consisting of both domestic and international product lines. The successful candidate will ensure high performance and high availability products that exceed our customer’s quality standards. This is a key position with responsibilities spanning the full product lifecycle. The ideal candidate is an established, self-motivated leader with deep experience and a track record of successfully leading teams and leveraging repeatable processes to deliver high value.
Quality is the responsibility of every team member within the Strato organization. It is the role of this position to align and integrate quality across the organization.
In this role, you will:
• Provide mentorship to support the quality discipline across the entire team
• Evaluate our current-state approach and results, and define and implement innovative approaches to improve quality through the introduction of new technologies, systems, methods and controls
• Lead ongoing process improvement efforts to ensure design, manufacturing and quality methodologies are effective, efficient, standardized and integrated.
Continue reading Senior Quality Assurance Engineer – Piscataway, NJ
This month’s ASQ member gift bundle: Auditing
In this month’s gift, ASQ is revisiting a very important topic and expertise critical to any organization—auditing.
- New webcast on advanced quality auditing
- Additional webcasts on auditing basics and process auditing
- Complete e-book, Auditing Beyond Compliance
- Checklists, tools and templates
- And much more!
Continue reading ASQ April Membership Gift: Auditing
ISO 9001:2015 and Risk-Based Thinking
Changes introduced in the 2015 revision were made with the intention of ensuring that ISO 9001 continues to adapt to the changing environments in which organizations operate. One key update everyone is talking about is the emphasis on risk-based thinking.
In this gift ASQ shares lots of resources that will help you better understand and apply risk-based thinking through your ISO 9001:2015 transition and after to the benefit of your customers and organization.
Your exclusive member gift will be available through November 30, 2016.
The ISO 9001:2015 and Risk-Based Thinking bundle includes:
- New Webcast – ISO 9001:2015 – Elevating quality with risk- based thinking (50 minutes)
- Complete E-book – Lean ISO 9001: Adding spark to your ISO 9001 QMS and sustainability to your lean efforts (248 pp) and webcast (54 minutes)
- Eight articles on ISO and risk including – Running a Risk: A process for seeing decisions’ potential risks and adverse effects
- Nine Standards Channel expert videos on ISO 9001 and risk
- And much more!
Thousands of organizations around the world are transitioning from ISO 9001:2008 to the 2015 version every month. For those of you still planning your transition process, here are lots of resources we hope will make it that much easier for you. Included are articles, case studies, and videos on the transition process to help you ensure a smoother and more value-added move into the new version.
The ISO 9001:2015 Transition Bundle includes:
- Document Control System Compliance Webcast (33 min)
- ISO 9001:2015 for Small and Medium-Sized Businesses Webcasts (40 min)
- 5 ways we can help you prepare (Infographic)
- Standards connection newsletter (Exclusive articles)
Your exclusive member gift will be available through June 30.